Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tuti-fruiti Cornbread

Such was the general consensus on what tonight's dessert tasted like! While the food here is great--I definitely appreciate the balance that we get, there are sometimes oddities.  Every morning has turned into "guess what flavor jelly this is" and at lunch we play "what flavor is the juice?"

Anyway, on to more pertinent things than food...
Today was our first day off--we have classes or field trips Monday-Saturday, so a few of us went into town for church this morning. Unfortunately, church was at 10:00 when we thought it was at 8:00. We spent those extra two hours wandering around town and talking to Carlos who had brought us into town. we even stopped at a bakery...yum! Church was distinctly Latin American--slightly chaotic, loud, and long with great worship music and friendly people. While I'm not sure how much of the sermon I actually got, it was nice to be worshiping with other believers. 
The rest of today I spent doing readings for tomorrow and Tuesday and catching up on a little sleep. 6:30 breakfasts continue to be really early!

We are winding down our time at Las Cruces; Wednesday we head back into San Jose for our homestays with host families. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. It will definitely be a change of pace from all of us living together, but after a week of that, it might be a good thing. I'm looking forward to meeting my host family and getting to know them, but I know from past experience that it can also be a challenge--especially with linguistic and cultural barriers. If you're looking for something to pray for, my interactions with my host family (as well as with my fellow students) would definitely be on my list. My hope is that in everything I say and do,  Christ's love is reflected.

3 comments:

  1. What do you know about your host family so far? And how long will you be in San Jose this time? Is this the segment when you all will be doing language school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma has tried to post comments without any success. I have posted one and I am trying again. If it works, I will have her use my computer.
    Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom--Just where they live and that they have an eight year old. I think we're there 2 1/2 weeks, and yep...it's language school.

    Grandpa--this comment worked!

    ReplyDelete