Thursday, September 15, 2011

As seen on the Cedros bus

Since I'm a city girl and take the bus to and from school every day, I've had my share of interesting experiences...some have made me smile, others have made me laugh, still others have made me cringe. So here they are:
  • A man carrying a trash bag full of individually packaged plantain chips who has apparently decided that buses are a great customer base. With a captive audience, I suppose he's right.
  • After the chip incident, I was suspicious of anyone walking on the bus with more than a backpack. I didn't really think a drum was anything to be concerned about, but when the man carrying it decided to stop right next to my seat and proceeded to launch into a soliloquy and song about life on the banana plantations I was clearly proven wrong. 
  • More soliloquizing later in the week when a woman got on the bus, stood in front and told the sad, sad tale of how she was from Chile, but shortly after arriving in Costa Rica had all of her belongings stolen. I guess I have to give credit for creative panhandling. 
  • A more smile-worthy observation was the morning that two men got up to give their seats to middle aged women. 
  • On the more laughable end of the spectrum is the German student (also taking Spanish at CRLA) in manpris and popped collar awkwardly trying to stand up on the bus.
  • And finally on the weird end are the couples I see EVERY DAY blatantly making out on the bus. Apparently PDA is acceptable here? Let's just say it's kind of awkward when that's going on in the seat in front of you and in the seat behind you. 
Ahhh...city life. I'm not so sure I'll miss it when we back at Las Cruces.

1 comment:

  1. Hey beautiful girl!
    Haha, sounds like Ecuador and Costa Rica (at least the buses..) are pretty darn similar...at least with the chip-sellers and the PDA. :)
    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete