Saturday, September 10, 2011

City Life Week 2


After a long week of intermittent internet access, it is finally fixed at our house! (and yes, I am again using that as my excuse for not posting all week.)  It’s been a very full week with Spanish classes, research classes, a birthday party and a visit to the central market. Because my thoughts are scattered and I like lists, here is my week in bullets:



  • I’ve finally cracked my Tropical Diseases book and now know more than I ever wanted to about diarrhea and the pathogens that cause it! 
  • I'm a big fan of writing 400 word essays for Spanish class
  • Sleeping 9 hours every night is amazing
  • I am absolutely shocked that I have not gotten sick yet. Leftovers here get left out for HOURS and the reserved. I'm kind of wishing we hadn't talked about food safety this summer with HSM teams!
  • The city life, while kind of fun, is not really my thing. An hour long bus ride on the way home for a trip that takes 10 minutes on the way to school is not my idea of a good time.
  • They celebrate 60th birthdays very differently here! We surprised my host mom with a birthday party last night...complete with a DJ, flashing lights, a fog machine and lots of loud music. It was a very fun evening full of yummy food and dancing! 
  • There's nothing quite like an overpriced bagel sandwich when you're feeling homesick for American food. 
  • Where can you buy a scarf for $3, a pallet full of 20lb bags of rice, a futon, a kids bowling set, undergarments for your whole family and a really cute recycling bin? Why Pequeño Mundo of course! As Bre described it, it's like a Costco and a Dollar Store squished into one tiny store.  
  • In a completely unrelated story, my MCAT scores are still not posted...and it's been almost a month! I'm going a little crazy. 
Now for some pictures! 
Tina, another girl staying at our house, my host mom and I

Ligia with most of her family while a mariachi band plays Feliz Cumpleaños

This little fellow was my dance partner for the evening!

Blowing out the candles

Tina, Helen and I

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the birthday party was lots of fun! And I am empathizing on the MCAT scores. Sure wish they'd hurry up and post them -- for your sake, and for mine!

    Love you and miss you bunches!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. AW rats! Now you made me start singing the microbes song again! And it was almost out of my head! Glad to see things are going well! Emily

    ReplyDelete