Sunday, September 4, 2011

Highs and Lows

It's been a long week...we've only been in San Jose since Wednesday, but it already feels like a long time. Internet has been spotty and classes have been long, so I haven't really had time to update, but I thought I'd try to sum up the week in a list of highs and lows.

First the not-so-fun stuff:
  • 20 minute bus rides into school that turn into hour bus rides on the way home
  • Getting off at the wrong bus stop and walking for half an hour in the rain, getting soaked in the process
  • The way my backpack smells after said soaking
  • Class on Saturdays. booooo
  • Trying to communicate with 22 other people without having a cell phone or consistent internet access 
  • Water that trickles out of the shower head
  • Feeling overwhelmed by the amount of time spent around people

Now the thing's that make me happy:
  • Actually making it home after getting off at the wrong bus stop in the rain
  • Being able to unpack and organize
  • My super sweet host family
  • Learning to salsa (no it's not pretty, but I know how to do it now)
  • House-warming parties Costa Rican style--including a Mariachi Band playing/praying the rosary
  • Grilling out on the upstairs terrace with friends
  • Laughing uncontrollably about silly things
  • Being able to video skype people 
Now some pictures of the happier things! (It's hard to take a picture of being lost in the rain.)
Trunk Monkey likes his new digs

yay organization!


With Allison

And Helen!

My adorable host siblings!




6 comments:

  1. So fun to see Trunk Monkey settled in, although I think he has to be called Dukie Monkey when he isn't in your car!

    How scary was it not to know where you were after you got off at the wrong bus stop? And how long did it take to get your bearings? So much for a purportedly waterproof backpack...

    I would like to hear more about what you are doing in language classes, if possible. Good to hear from you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. If it weren't for mama's last minute suggestion, trunk monkey would still be trunk monkey! Glad he's with you! MISSS UUUUUU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. BABBBBYYYYYY!!!! Ahhh! Can I have one!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna- it never ceases to amaze me that whatever the interaction with you - in person or just reading your posts - I walk away thinking "I want to grow up and be like Anna.". The thing is you are in your 20s and I am 47! You are amazing and I am forever thankful to Him for knowing you and knowing your amazing family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom--I'll try to post another blog tonight if our internet gets fixed today. I was a little freaked out, because it was raining and getting dark, but I knew more or less where we were, so it was fine. Also, the inside of the backpack stayed dry, but it just smells weird now. So do my Sperrys. =P

    Sophie--that's so sweet of you. I miss you guys!

    Jessie--no...he's mine. And he likes me.

    ReplyDelete